The world’s youngest person to qualify for the Olympic games in Luge, Shiva Keshavan is the first Indian to have won an international medal in any winter sport. Shiva has represented India for over 20 years and competed in 5 Olympic Games and won 10 individual medals at the Asian level.
Shiva’s story began in a remote Himalayan village, Vashisht, at 2500 mts. in altitude where despite the lack of basic infrastructure or sport facilities he rose to compete in the highest level of international sport.
Shiva’s talent was spotted by Gunther Lemmerer, former World Champion and head coach of the International Luge Federation who gave Shiva a chance to compete at a world stage.
The news of an athlete from India competing with a homemade set of equipment, no coach or track to train on and no funding or from the sports federation was instantly picked up by media all around the world.
These were not the only obstacles Shiva had to overcome to become the most decorated and recognizable face in Winter Sports in India, a country of almost 1.5 Billion people.
Shiva story is one of overcoming adversity and a lone struggle against the odds to achieve a seemingly impossible dream. Today Shiva Keshavan is training for his 6th Olympic Games in PyeongChang in 2018 with the support of so many people that have come together around Shiva as he continues to make history for his sport and his country.
In 2014 Shiva became the founder-president of the Olympians Association of India and is committed to support the Olympic movement in India.
AWARDS, ACHIEVEMENTS, MEDALS
- Bronze medalist, Asia Cup, Nagano, 2005
- Bronze medalist, Asia Cup, Nagano, 2007
- Bronze medalist, Asia Cup, Nagano, 2008
- Silver medalist, Asia Cup, Nagano, 2009
- Gold medalist, Asia Cup, Nagano, 2011
- Gold medalist, Asia Cup, Nagano, 2012
- Silver medalist, Asia Cup, Nagano, 2013
- Silver medalist, Asia Cup, Nagano, 2014
- Silver medalist, Asia Cup, Nagano, 2015
- Gold medalist, Asian Championship, Nagano, 2016
- Gold medalist, Asian Championship, Altenberg, 2017
- Gold medalist, Asian Championship, Altenberg, 2018
- Arjuna Award, Government of India – nominee, 2012
- Parshuram Award, Government of Himachal Pradesh – nominee, 2012
- NDTV Outstanding performer of the year award- winner, 2012
- Asian Luge cup – Gold Medal, 2011 & 2012
- Asian Luge cup – Silver Medal, 2009
- Asian Luge cup – Bronze Medal, 2005 & 2008
- World record for youngest ever Olympian
- First Indian to qualify for the Winter Olympic Games